Aug 15, 2008

First Grade

The day before Eli started first grade he blurted out in the van to Nate and I that 1st grade teachers had mean faces and weren't as nice as kindergarten teachers. I assured him that wasn't true although I had heard his teacher was pretty serious compared to his past kindergarten teacher who grabbed every child and squeezed them morning and afternoon, gave finger hugs ALL THE TIME and told everyone she loved them. Plus she looked like a 7 foot barbie doll - bless her! Eli said he thought he had read that in a book...
So, then we walk in his class Monday morning and what do you think happened? Sure enough he walks up to his teacher, I'm sure expecting a big hug and welcome, and she tells him (very seriously) to find a desk and get seated. My heart fluttered as I left the room thinking all the kids looked like deer in headlights! "THIS AIN'T KINDERGARTEN TOTO!"
But when I picked him up (in car line mind you - I didn't even walk in to get him) his teacher made a point to wave goodbye to him until he saw her as the van door was closing and then he looked at me and said "I have the best 1st grade teacher! She has tub toys and the other teacher doesn't and she loves to go outside and play on the playground...we went outside twice today!" I was so excited for him!
It's Friday and he still likes 1st grade, was motivated to do his homework (yes, homework!) because his buddy Eli Cr. turned his in on Tuesday (it was due Friday - thanks Eli Cr.), and he even was given a trading card from a buddy this afternoon in car line and thought that was the coolest (now we have to go buy trading cards.....ughhhh)! But all in all I couldn't ask for a better first week experience at Campus School!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, seriously, I am Eli Cr.s MOM and I want to slug him in the arm. Such the overachiever. He gets that from Dustin.

Can't talk anymore. I am busy wrapping Christmas presents.