Aug 8, 2009

please give me your opinion...no really I want to know...(not really)

Facebook is funny. you post a status update and then all your "friends" get to either read it, ignore it, or comment on it. Recently I read a friend's status where she was confused over the idea of the school her daughter had tested for kindergarten b/c the school thought the little girl needed to be in Kindergarten Readiness. The mother must have not thought about that alternative for her summer birthday daughter (who was said to not be able to sit still but who scored pretty high on the test). She was just asking for other's opinions. BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. She had over 30 people giving her their opinion. I too jumped on the bandwagon simply b/c I for one had my son in that school last year and he too was tested and then suggested he might benefit from Kindergarten Readiness. The difference was that I had planned on putting him in that program (his birthday is Aug. 31st) and then placing him in a different school with his big brother the next year. I just said I thought the program was great for that reason - letting your child mature one more year but yet still teaching them "kindergarten" skills and getting them used to being in a school setting.

I shouldn't have entered the Facebook zone with that topic. I have gotten myself all flustered reading the many comments that keep coming to her request. It's funny most of these "advice givers" haven't expericed the K. R. program but they sure have a lot to say about it..."that's the dumbest thing," "it wasn't here 10 years ago so why do we need it now," "then the child is 6 when they enter K. the next year - how horrable" "why do they expect a 5 year old to sit still" --- what?? Why did I go there? You know everyone has their opinion about everything but usually you keep it to yourself. Giving advice or well wishes is one thing but to give your opinion about doing something in the negative is just plain rude to me. The woman then posted she was more confused then ever and had a headache now...I feel sorry for her though. It is easy to ask for other's opinions on facebook but not always easy to take the 1000 different ones that come shooting through cyberspace into your kitchen!

I am having to be a big girl now. I made my decision for my kids with the whole kindergarten "hold back" or "repeat" or "send them early" debate and I am living through it - successfully for the time being. I know I made the best decision for my boys and they are very happy in school and benefiting from the decision. Would they have been just as sucessful if I hadn't made these decisions - who knows but why go there? So...why read the many opinions of people I don't even know who obviously feel very strongly against what I did then? I won't...and I will NEVER ask the facebook community their oppinion on something in my life from this point on.

Sarah Weeks Callender....is just being. (My status update for 7:21am on Saturday morning)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are SO many good reasons to extend the fun kindergarten years! It's sort of sad when they move past the naps and play time in the classroom. Kindergarten Readiness is probably more like what Kindergarten USED to be like. My kids K teachers all said that the work load is so much more than it used to be, and it's too much for the kids at such a young age. They are required to know 1st grade skills now in Kindergarten.
~Gwen

Anonymous said...

You know I lub me some K-readiness, but I also lub me some Kindergarten done twice also. Whatever works. But I suspect you really weren't looking for advice here, other than to not read other people's advice. You are just so nice that you don't like when there is controversy. If you would start being hateful like Beth (see how I did that? Hi Beth!) it would not matter as much to you.

And finally, let me just add that you cannot expect my ADHD to read a post and concentrate if you are going to put such freaking cute kid pics next to it. Precious ANGELS, I tell ya.