Mar 25, 2009

It's official


It's official....Spring has arrived. Not only on the calendar and the weather channel but in my backyard. Nothing says Spring like Hostas popping up in your garden. I LOVE when their little heads appear out of the cold, sleepy ground. I always have to make up for my slack in yard work during the end of Fall come March and April. Especially this year, as I raked and cut old dead flowers I thought about all that went on last Fall. I got so big at the end of summer and couldn't bend over to do the work but I did enjoy the fruits of my "smaller" labor as the flowers bloomed beautifully well into the Fall.

These black eyed Susans were just delightful last summer. But I had written down in my new garden journal (thanks mom) that I HAD to split them in the Spring or they would overtake that garden. Here they are coming up now...I am thankful for my mother who helped me make a map of everything from pictures we took last Fall, otherwise I would have had no idea what these were!

One of my favorites is the iris. They have multiplied this year and I can't wait for them to bloom. I got brave and moved a bunch of smaller ones to a new bed I made at the end of the summer. I do hope they will bloom still.



For the most part the beds are ready and the flowers are coming whether Spring weather is officially arrived or not. It rained today and I know the fat worms I saw while working in the dirt were as excited as I was in anticipation of my colorful blessings coming back to life.

1 comment:

The B Keeper said...

My tulips are up ! One has bloomed, but won't be long before the others are too. I trimmed my butterfly bush & pompas grass this past weekend. It looks all tidy now.

Show me your gardening journal!!

That's a great idea. I remember your mom talking about it at the MOPS talk she did, but I didn't do it. When I move things around, I tend to forget what the new little "weeds" are. I've learned not to pull them out until they surely are weeds...