So Nate starts reading this book we got for Christmas called "The Love Dare" (the movie Fireproof was about it). The book is supposed to refocus your attention on your love one and teach you to put them first, do nice things for them, fall in love again, etc. Well, Nate reads the book out loud while I'm about to fall asleep the past two nights; each night you read one page and it is very short. Last night he read that the challenge for the next day was to do something unexpected and kind for your spouse. I get all giddy and wake out of my slumber; I start telling him how I know what I'm going to do for him but I won't tell him of course (I don't think the book was quite designed for us to do it this way). So I fall asleep for a few short hours to be awakened twice during the night by a hungry, chubby cheeked baby. When 6:30am yells at me I fall out of bed, shuffle into the kitchen, muttering hellos to my perky children, who are eating breakfast fixed as always by their daddy and I begin making lunch. Now let me tell you the night before secret...I was going to make lunch for Nate to take to work (which I never do and he eats like an apple for a meal and then comes home starving). But in my haziness I forget the LOVE DARE for the day and send my husband and oldest offspring out the door. After dropping off Ian at school I realize the forgotten 'unexpected act of kindness' and in usual Sarah fashion call Nate to give myself up. He then suggests I could make him lunch and bring it to him at 10:30 that morning where I quickly state, "I don't think so." I'm so into this book already can you tell?
The best part....at 1:00 today I hear the front door opening (it was hard to hear though b/c I had hard rock music blaring out the radio in the kitchen while I washed dishes and watched our young one absorbing the harsh language) and in walks Nate. You know what he was doing? He came home early b/c he knew I wasn't feeling good (another story) and he was going to pull the long car pool duty this afternoon, getting all the boys from school. I looked at him, a little embarrassed that he caught me in a bad mothering moment (you know I usually play classical music for our little child) and said "is this your unexpected act of kindness?" He just smiled.
Jan 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that gets a big ole "aaawwww" - what's the name of that book ;-D
Post a Comment