Nov 11, 2009

holistic medicine

I'm taking a leap of faith today and putting my pocketbook on the line mind you! Elizabeth has had more then 5 ear infections in her first year and the prognosis now is visit an ENT with the possibility of tubes. At first I really didn't think anything of it. Even when asked by a family member how I felt I just said, "well I figured that is what we were going to have to do." Everyone has told me how their kids got tubes and most of them even said it helped stop the ear infections; so why question it? But then a woman told me about the other side of what happens when tubes don't work and how there are alternatives to that procedure; so I listened and with much fear and many tears I decided to pursue it today.

We started by going to the chiropractor for an initial exam. Although he truly only 'touched behind her ears' and 'pressed on her skull' for a few seconds I'm going to remain hopeful. I got the dreaded "You'll need to bring her back twice a week for maybe four weeks" talk. (That's what made me cry) But then I went home and read the 'What is the cause of ear infections' pamphlet and for the first time I felt like someone was trying to help me help my daughter instead of just giving me medicine after medicine with no explanation of how to stop the problem.

When your child is sick you take them to the doctor and if we are all honest as moms we WANT AN ANTIBIOTIC. I even heard on the news today there is a study out that shows doctors write antibiotic prescriptions when they aren't needed simply b/c they know that is what parents want. When the chiropractor asked me if I had ever thought to not give her an antibiotic when she had an ear infection I had to admit, no I hadn't. Isn't that what we have been trained to do? The pamphlet said that research shows for the majority of ear infections antibiotics won't even make them go away (or stay away) b/c it is due to the shape of the canal and the fluid that is being held there. (which is why they make kids get tubes in their ears) But what if you could fix that? That is what I'm putting my faith and money for the time being in...that there is truly an alternative to this problem.

Next I went to the "medicine woman" (aka: Sandy @ Body Renew). I was warned that it would seem hokey what she did; but I tell you what, that woman seemed to know what she was doing! Right off the bat she discovered Elizabeth had a small hernia and that is what was causing her reflux. And when I told her E. was anemic and on iron she said "well of course if the doctor put her on reflux medicine that gets rid of the acid in her stomach and won't let her digest the iron, etc. in her foods - take her off that! She then pushed around and did some other crazy looking stuff to both of us (actually it was called Contact Reflex Analysis) and sent me away with some herbal pills to give Elizabeth (8 each day for 2 weeks) that would bring out all this crud she keeps getting. Instead of giving her the antibiotics and benadryl and cough medicines which push all this stuff back in her body this herb will bring it all out in the next two days hard core and then help her body fight off any other infection. She told me NO TUBES...she would help me get Elizabeth straightened out!

So, I'm giving both these Medical Mavericks a try for the time being. They have until December 9th when I take sister girl to the ENT - I should have proof then that what they did either worked or didn't. In the time being I'm going to pray that what God created here on this earth to help us all, that what people have been using since the beginning of time to help heal each other, that what is natural and will help our bodies heal themselves...that all of those things will do their job and make my sweet sick baby better!

2 comments:

Schallert Family said...

Not that you asked for advice, but I'm going to give it. :) Nikki has been taking Brock to the chiropractor for his ear infections. You might call her and see if it has been helping. We LOVE our chiropractor in Mboro and would highly recommend him (Nikki is taking Brock to him)--I have never felt like he was pushing me in to doing something that wasn't necessary or costly. Casey had tubes in his ears and they helped him, but you are right--tubes aren't for everybody. Might as well give something else a shot! We'll be thinking of you and baby E and hoping she gets better very soon! Miss you.

The B Keeper said...

Oh girl. You've made some big decisions lately! Prayers are with you & the health of your girl.

I'd love to hear more about it all. I've tossed around the idea of holistic/non-conventional medicine for things that ail us, but to be honest the traditional route was the easiest & definitely what I was "trained" to do.

Hope to see you soon.