Jul 20, 2009

I was thinking what this Monday would turn out like since for the first week it seems all summer we have NOTHING planned...no swim practice, no camps, no play dates set, no visits to family. Then I get a call from my very distraught girlfriend. All I heard on the other line was hysteria...he got let go...sobbing...And then the only thing I could do was start crying myself and say "I'll be right over to get the kids." Luckily Nate was still home so I yelled as I was running out the door "Dustin lost his job...he's on his way home...I'm going to get the kids." What else does a friend do when something tragic happens. I know it isn't "tragic" in that sense but really to a family where the husband is the only full time working person and there are kids involved - it all seems rather tragic.

I was impressed that the husband met me at the door to say thank you and hug his kids goodbye. I just wanted to cry as I watched my sweet friend behind him try to hold herself together in front of everyone. And the kids faces...oh, the eight year old just broke my heart. You really can't get anything by those kids!

Eli immediately told me his dad lost his job and I hugged him while the younger ones just watched and listened to their big brother. In the van we talked about what was really important. (he was talking a lot about losing their house and having to move) Houses aren't important, stuff isn't important - but staying together as a family no matter where you have to live or what you live in - that is important. And the fact that those kids know that God is taking care of them no matter what happens right now is so reassuring to them. They all seemed to lighten up after the short pep talk and promptly began telling me a story of when Eli swallowed the marble and had to wait to poop it out. We all cracked up at this and drove to my house.

It was a long day. I could tell the older one was worried at times but didn't talk about it. I was worried...for my friends.

To make this reality even harder my father-in-law stopped by to say hey to the kids this afternoon. He causally told me that he was laid off his job today. He smiled and said "God will provide."

Life is hard. And it isn't always fair. But I believe God 'allows' us to go through these times to make us depend on Him...to Trust Him...to remember that we aren't in control of everything and that He will provide for us in our deepest time of need.

Like my friend said tonight on her blog, "we all think it won't happen to us until it does." And so I pray for her family, for my father-in-law, for so many I know already in need. And I remember to be very thankful for what I have right now b/c it could be us next.

No comments: