May 22, 2009

Mother's do know best!


It was on Monday...I picked Ian up from school and noticed he was holding his arm funny. When he got in the car I immediately asked him what was wrong and he showed me his torn Star Wars shirt. He had jumped out of the swing at school and gotten his arm caught in the chain (I assume?) and hurt his arm. I was a little taken back that the school had not called but he told me he didn't tell his teacher it hurt. So, I tried not to make a big deal of it since we were going to the doctor that afternoon for a sinus infection checkup anyway. Ian was really quiet that afternoon and sat around on the couch. Nate and I both weren't too upset though b/c Ian wasn't complaining. I take him to the doctor and start out the checkup with his cold symptoms - yes, he needs a z-pack. Then I ask him about a lingering rash from some poison ivy that is all over his stomach - yes, he needs a steroid lotion. Oh, and please look at his arm b/c he jumped out of a swing and said it hurts. The doctor touches his arm and right away Ian tears up. Then the doctor says oh yes, he needs an x-ray. After the x-ray sure enough the Dr. says Ian has a buckle fracture. The best kind of break you can have but still a break. I even said at one point "Now, I"ve never had a kid with a broken bone but oh, it's not really broken." He said "oh, it is broken..." Me: "But what can he do and not do? Like can he ride a bike, jump on the trampoline?" hee hee... Doctor: "oh my, no he can't jump on the trampoline. Ian, don't jump on the trampoline! But he can ride a bike!"
Best part - this is the only break that they allow you to wear a soft cast, which means we can take it off in the bath tub. And we let Ian play in the water yesterday and the cast was fine - dried great outside! Only three weeks and we check to see if it's healed. If not - HARD CAST! And of course right after the check up we are going to Pigeon Forge to play at Dollywood's water park! HEAL ARM HEAL!!
He is a trooper though - no complaints still and is handling the trampoline time out like a champ (that is all my boys do outside!)
Lesson learned: Mothers...children can break their bones when they jump out of a swing! (I've been telling them they would do that everyday when they try to do Olympic high jump contests off our swing set and they just laugh at me!) Mothers do know best!

1 comment:

The B Keeper said...

You are one smart mama !