I am a very controlling person. I admit it. My husband reminds me of it about once a week (bless him). So, when approached recently about serving in my MOPS group in a position I had never considered I shuddered. As a controlling type person I like to be in charge. I like to feel confident in what I am responsible for - I like to know that I KNOW how to do what I have to do. But this position is something new, something different, something I don't KNOW how to do. At first I said no. Then I said no again. Then I found myself filling out the paperwork to do the position, wondering the whole time "why am I doing this?" There was some prayer in between all those wondering moments. Still I never had a peace about it.
Then I read something that I think will help anyone reading this with life choices they have to make that they too feel they aren't 'in control' of or aren't 'capable' of. Forgive me for copying but I will give credit to the author Priscilla Shirer in the bible study "Anointed Transformed Redeemed - A study of David." "We must come to our situations knowing that God equips for His purpose those He calls. He didn't select us to lead the study, mother the children, marry the man, lead the meeting, run the office, or start the ministry because He knew we were already capable. Rather, He picked us up, dusted off our incapability, replaced it with His ability, and secured our success when we chose to rest and trust in Him to work supernaturally in us."
WOW! You mean God knew that I didn't know what the lick I was doing when I started mothering my kids or even got into this marriage thing? That He was helping me all the while I was changing diapers, teaching my little ones, trying to forgive my husband (for not waking up last night when the baby cried on and on). WOW! God cares that much about me?
Still more..."He never gives a blessing, extends a gift, offers an opportunity, or creates a solution without a specific purpose. Those whom God has handpicked for a specific calling, established with His power, and anointed by His Spirit have been given that privilege of being a conduit (high school science term) through which those blessings can flow to others."
You mean it's not ALL ABOUT ME? He is using me to touch others and through my weakness and inability He shows Himself. COOL!
"The Father loves people, not programs. Any program He initiates and or assignment He commissions you to do always has this as its main goal turning people to a relationship with Himself. MOTHERING IS NOT THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF BEING A MOM, REVEALING CHRIST TO THE CHILDREN IS. The position of leader in the career or ministry is not the goal, those in your sphere of influece seeing God's love reflected in you is."
What did I get from that? Yes, being the new creative activities leader in my MOPS group is intimidating and daunting b/c I don't know if I can do it well but will He help me? Yes. Will He grow me in this ministry as I trust in Him and not my own talents to get the job done? Yes. Is the purpose to lead moms in crafts? No - but to show His love through my position. This can be applied to anything you do. Jobs, Mothering, Marriage, Friendships with hard to get along friends, Neighbors -
I have a peace now about fulfilling this position and trying something new that is out of my comfort zone. I'm glad I have that peace on my side b/c of my Father. What about you?
Apr 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was thrilled when I heard you were doing this! And I agree that God uses ordinary people who allow Him to help them. The Bible is full of people like that.
PS - I spoke at New Vision's Tea and Testimony this week. They seemed to like it. I find the process of putting the talk together fascinating. Sometimes there are points I want to include but can't find a way to fit in... so I just assume God knows that no one needs to hear it. And there are other ideas that He brings to my mind to add to my outline which is so cool because I know someone will benefit. I really do feel like a conduit! Feel free to pass my name on to other MOPS groups.
Thanks for the reminder that I am always a work in progress. That God doesn't want us to wait until we have it all figured out (cause he knows we don't, know matter what we think ;)
I look forward to hearing about what you find out about yourself through your new adventure !
Sarah, you are a blessing to me (and to many) xo
Post a Comment