Sep 18, 2008

The things you hear in the minivan after school

I think counselors should start meeting with their patients in a minivan on their way home from work or school, etc. That seems to be a nonthreatening place where one can just let loose from the day and not have to look the 'listener' in the eye, while they just let it all out! Oh, thank goodness our little ones can't see our eyes as we tear up and take in all their hurts and pains and try to offer up advice and comfort while we watch out for the crazies on the road! So what was my counseling session about today you wonder....
Patient: Ian - 5 years old
Doctor's notes: Patient seemed very sad and quiet, complaining his stomach hurt and seemed to be fighting back tears.
Doctor's Question: "Ian, did something happen today that made you sad?"
Patient: "Yes, someone was mean to me."
Doctor: "Please continue..."
Patient: (paraphrased by doctor) "There is this really big boy, bigger then anyone, who is very mean and he wouldn't play with me. I was sitting by Luke (patient's friend) on the playground and this mean boy told me to get up and he didn't say please. Then there wasn't anywhere for me to sit and I had no one to play with. And that same mean boy pushed a girl and didn't say he was sorry."
Doctor: Wow! He seems really mean. You don't really want to play someone that mean do you?
Patient: No.
Doctor: So let's think of all the nice kids you like that play with you.

And so we talked about the nice kids. I'm being silly here but really Ian was so upset over this mean boy. He seems to be very effected by mean kids at school. Luckily this 'big kid' isn't in his room I found out - all playground socializing. All I can do is literaly pray each day for him that he won't get hurt, emotionally and physically, by all these different personalities at school and try to encourage and kiss the emotional boo boo's that do occur. Don't all us mommies wish we could shelter our little ones from the pains of growing up and 'the mean big kids who don't say please and their sorry!' Bless their hearts!!! I guess it is good practice for real life b/c don't we all know those same mean kids just grow up to be bigger and sometimes meaner!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could send John over to that playground to kick some booty. He is teeny, but mighty mean. ;)

We C's don't like when you C's are upset.

The B Keeper said...

I think you should take Katie up on her offer :-) No seriously...."prayer warrior" and "to pray without ceasing" took on a whole new meaning when I sent my kiddos to school. If only I was as diligent as I should be. And every year, it's just more letting go !

You and the spider thing & the doctor/patient vibe..is just too funny ! And I love the new look of the blog.