Feb 12, 2008

Let me set the record straight & sponsoring a child

Ok...I've been asked my one too many blog readers how my training for the half marathon is going! So, with great humility I admit that when I wrote that it was a "dream" goal as I sat in my warm bedroom in my p.j.'s and typed away. I look at my friends who run with such jealousy because they love it so and do it so freely! (and with such ease) Although I do admit that the more one runs the better they get at it. I learned that when running for the 5K back in the Fall. But since I haven't run but 1 mile since the Fall my body is yelling at me, "You want to do this for how many miles?" HA HA HA Don't tell Nate I wrote this though - I know what he'll say! "It's all mental" as did my sweet friend Dena in church last week when she was encouraging me to get out and run!
On another note - I wanted to encourage anyone who doesn't know about Compassion International to check it out this month. www.compassion.com Nate and I sponsor a little boy named Owani Iddo from Uganda. This week we received two letters from him along with pictures of his family. It was awsume to show Eli and Ian this boy's picture with his thatched hut in the background. The poverty was so obvious in the photos but what struck me was the pride his parents showed of their beautiful family standing there. Eli was excited to write back in a letter about his own life here in the states. We only pay $32 a month to support this little boy - that's just one time going out to eat at a resturant with my family - any of us could give that up once a month for a child to be able to go school, have clothes, books, food, etc. The money really does go to the child and the support they get once they are sponsored continues until they are 18 (regardless of if you have to drop your support). Check out the website soon b/c they have a group of sponsors from the states over there in Uganda who are blogging about their experience. I only read one blog and was brought to tears! I'm just glad I'm doing my part to help out! God bless!

No comments: